Monday 3 October 2011

Good evening!

Today was a day filled with apples, apples, and more apples.

To start our day, I read a book called, Johnny Appleseed. Although the context of this book dates back to American history, it was very appropriate and educational for the students. After, I placed an apple, from Chudleigh's of course, on the middle of the table. I asked them to look at the apple and to draw what they saw (i.e. red colour, round, a stem, etc.). After, I cut the apple in half and showed them the seeds. We talked about what seeds are and how, under specific circumstances, they can grow, bloom, and be fruitful. After that, I cut the apple into many pieces and the students got to taste it. They described what it tasted like (i.e. yummy, cold, sour, sweet, hard, etc.).

After, we made apple sauce. I peeled and cut the apples. The students added the apples to a large pot, along with water, sugar, and a touch of cinnamon for taste.  The end result was very, very successful. The students loved their creation and so did I. I also let some other teachers try it, one of which commented that it was the best apple sauce she had ever tasted!

I will send home a recipe sheet tomorrow. We also planted the appleseeds that were left over from our apple sauce. It was a lot of fun.

Just a friendly reminder that this Friday is a Professional Development (PD) Day. There will be NO school on this day. 


Also, Monday, October 10 is Thanksgiving Day. There will also be NO school on this day. 


My email address is jhusain@stjudesacademy.com

Have a great night!

Ms. H.

No comments:

Post a Comment