Thursday 27 October 2011

Namaste!

Today was a great day.

I say this simply because it was. Last night, I began to ponder about the diversity, not only found within the students and faculty at St. Jude's Academy, but also evidently seen around us. It got me thinking. What if I promoted and encouraged a sense of diversity and respect within the classroom? That led me to incorporate other languages into my daily lessons. So, today, I taught the students different ways of saying "hello" in different languages. Today, they learned how to say "hello" in:

French - Bonjour!
India: Namaste!
Kenya and Tanzania: Jambo!
Japan: Kon-nichiwa
Italy: Ciao!
China: Ni Hao

Among many others. They loved repeating after me and getting to know and appreciate the diverse languages and cultures our beautiful world has to offer us. Each day, I will be focusing on one language to say hello in, so be sure to ask your child when you see them at the end of the day :)

We also went over the letter U. Most of us were able to do this worksheet well and others are still working on their pencil-holding techniques.  We also did worksheets about colours.

We are in the midst of concluding our first unit of inquiry and beginning our second one, entitled How we express ourselves. This unit is centered around using our imaginations and getting to know famous fables, stories, nursery rhymes, and poems that have become a tradition.

Today we read the Three Little Pigs. I used laminated pictures and drew the background of the story on the white board. I used the pictures to help animate the story. The students love this and got to move the pictures themselves after, retelling the story in the order of events.

We also had drama and french class.

I hope everyone has a wonderful, restful Thursday!

Ms. H.

No comments:

Post a Comment